Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Today I saw the best thing

I have one patient who has an intra abdominal abscess that we are consulting on. He wasn't responding all that well to antibiotics at first. His white count kept climbing, he was running high fevers and despite a drain in his belly, he kept getting more distended. His pain kept increasing and he would have random bouts of muscle spasms that would basically double him over. The pain meds we were giving him made him loopy.

Yesterday he finally turned the corner. We changed pain meds and his mental state cleared considerably. His white count came down 4 points and he is finally afebrile. He is still pretty distended and has a fair amount of abdominal pain. We have another CT scan in the works to figure that out. He is finally getting better though.

His wife has hardly left his bedside the entire time he has been in the hospital. This is despite that fact that she has to wear a protective gown and gloves just to be in the room. She is there to help answer our questions, keep him company, talk to him even though he couldn't always talk back. She was there because she loved him and wanted to give him all the support she could.

I am looking forward to the day that I have that. I know that it might be awhile, but I don't mind waiting for something that good. The best thing about coming to terms with being gay and accepting that it is part of who I am means I can look forward to things like that. It has taken awhile, but I can see myself growing old with a guy I love. This is a pretty big step for me.

Anyone looking for a boyfriend?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home