Tuesday, December 19, 2006

My failed good Samaritan moment

I had an interesting experience this evening. I have next to nothing to eat in my house at the moment that can be made quickly and easily. I didn't want to cook so I ran to Cub Foods instead to buy something easy to make. Just as I was getting into my car after buying my food I was approached by a man on a bike. He yelled, "Hey sir". I hadn't started my car yet so I just opened my door. He showed me his security guard uniform underneath his coat and said he was looking for some help for inside the store. He started telling me that he had just moved here from Indianapolis 3 weeks ago and was living with his family in a nearby motel. His wife was trying to find a job but was running into difficulty. His car had just been towed for a reason I cannot remember so he had to get around on the bike he was currently on. He even had supporting documentation, Indiana drivers license, a paper showing his car had been towed and ID for his security job. I told him that I'm sorry but I don't carry much if any cash in my wallet - a lie on my part which I immediately felt bad about. He responded with a sad look and said he wasn't looking for cash. He then rode away on his bike while I shut my door.

I drove home and began to think about the book I had just read about the working class and how hard it was to make ends meet. I was thinking about how well off I really am and how lucky I am to even consider just running to Cub to buy some random food when I decide I don't want to spend time cooking. I almost never give cash to people out of fear that I am feeding some habit. In this case though I couldn't help but think I should have actually done something. I had just finished this book which spoke about this guy's exact situation, low paying job, living in an expensive motel because of a lack of funds for an apartment, one member of the family without a job even though she had been searching. I couldn't help but think that I had read that book just at this point in time because I was going to meet this poor guy and maybe now I would actually have the insight to consider helping.

I actually got back into my car and drove back to the grocery store. Only five minutes passed from the time I left until the time I returned. I drove around the parking lot for a few minutes but couldn't find the guy. I eventually saw his bike, or what I think was his bike, tied to a sign. I went inside to see if I could find him. I wasn't sure if he found someone else to help or if he was going to spend the few dollars he might have had buying whatever he could possibly afford. I walked through the entire store and was unable to find the guy. I hope he found someone to help him. I feel terrible that I didn't help him when I could. It would have been so easy to say, "Let's go inside and get you a few things to take to your family". Instead I just drove away.

Hopefully next time I will be able to make a better decision.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home